For the fetish-making task, all my little dolls were based on portraits of the characters they were meant to represent. Artemis was the first doll I tackled. She worked pretty well, with no major unravelling, mistakes or last-minute decisions to change things. You can see Artemis here. Since it was my first try, I didn’t experiment too much: except for the hair, headpiece and modified skirt, this doll is very similar to the original Jean Greenhowe pattern.
So, with a practise run out of the way it was time to get down to some more complicated business. For the lovely Clotho, I needed to work out an alternate hairstyle, using a much thicker brown yarn than the other leftover colours I had on hand, AND figure out how give her Princess Leia braids. For this doll, I tried something a little different with the top, arms and skirt to try to give it some of the effect of the gown in the portrait. Some of it worked well, and although the skirt still looks a little clunky, by now I’m getting a better idea of how to improve things.
Next: time to expand on the experimenting.